Posts for: October, 2018
Are you currently considering your tooth replacement options? Dental implants may offer the ideal way to restore your smile. Denton, TX, dentist Dr. Christoper Edmondson of Denton Family Dentistry can help you maintain a full, healthy smile with dental implants and other services and procedures.
Dental Implant Requirements
Your Denton dentist will consider these factors when determining if you're a good candidate for implants:
- Oral Health: Gum disease or other oral health problems may prevent you from receiving implants or delay the process until the issue is successfully treated.
- General Health: Some diseases, such as uncontrolled diabetes, can slow healing. Poor healing may also be a problem if you're undergoing chemotherapy, taking medications that suppress the immune system, or have HIV/AIDS or another immune system disorder. As long as you're in good health, however, dental implants will be an excellent tooth restoration option.
- Smoking: Smoking also slows healing and may lower the success rate for dental implants.
- Jawbone Depth: Your jawbone must be deep enough to support dental implants. If it's not, your dentist may recommend bone grafts.
- Nerve Placement: In some cases, implants may not be the best option due to inconvenient nerve placement.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants permit the replacement of your entire missing tooth, unlike other restoration options that only replace the crown, the part of the tooth you see above the gum line. Made of titanium, your implant bonds to your jawbone and serves as a secure foundation for an artificial crown. Thanks to the bonding process, your new tooth will feel just like a natural tooth and won't affect your biting power nor wobble or slip when you chew.
Have you ever noticed that people with missing teeth tend to look older than they are? This problem occurs when the jawbone shrinks, causing facing muscles to sag. A shrinking jawbone can also lead to the loss of otherwise healthy teeth. Luckily, adding dental implants to your jawbone provides stimulation that the bone needs to remain full and strong.
No matter what degree of tooth loss you've experienced, you can benefit from dental implants. In addition to supporting a single missing tooth, implants also support bridges and dentures. You may only need as few as four implants to support one denture.
Contact Us Today!
Restore your smile with dental implants! Call Denton, TX, dentist Dr. Christoper Edmondson of Denton Family Dentistry at (940) 591-9700 to schedule an appointment.